Do I need a permit to install, widen, or modify a driveway?

A building permit is not required, BUT most driveways require a right-of-way permit which is issued by the Public Works Department.  Driveway connections to the street look different throughout the City--some driveways have curb and gutter, some connect to asphalt, and some have to consider road side ditches.  Driveways have both minimum and maximum widths and required separation from street intersections. Many of these design requirements are in Section 26-501.F.  

Contact the Public Works Department to learn more.


Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a building permit?
2. How do I request an inspection?
3. How long is my permit valid?
4. What is a Certificate of Occupancy / Completion?
5. What codes does the City of Wheat Ridge enforce?
6. When do I need a permit?
7. What type of building permit is needed to cover different types of work?
8. How do I apply for a building permit?
9. How long will it take to get a permit?
10. What is the best way to submit over-the-counter building permits?
11. Can homeowners submit their own drawings?
12. How much will a building permit cost?
13. How do I determine my valuation of work?
14. What type of payment do you accept?
15. How do I check the status of my permit?
16. What time are the inspectors in the office?
17. Does the city license contractors?
18. Who is required to obtain a contractors license?
19. What are the city’s testing requirements for licensing?
20. Does the city accept other cities’ licensing/testing?
21. What are the City’s roofing requirements?
22. How can I obtain building records for a property address?
23. Do I need a permit to install, widen, or modify a driveway?