Who can operate a short-term rental?

An STR host must be the owner of a property:

  • One STR in an entire dwelling unit they own but will not occupy – a “whole house” rental
  • One STR in a portion or a room of a dwelling unit where they continuously reside – a “partial house” rental

Short-term rentals are allowed in both residential and mixed-use commercial zones. Owners of apartments or mixed-use buildings on commercial corridors may be permitted to have additional STRs. 

STRs in condos may already be restricted by the Homeowners Association (HOA) or other ownership agreement. If not, the code limits condo developments to four total STRs per development to prevent a large number of condos from being converted into STRs. These details are included in the ordinance (Sec 26-645)

Show All Answers

1. What is a Short-Term Rental or STR?
2. Why regulate Short-Term Rentals?
3. What is included in the ordinance?
4. Who can operate a short-term rental?
5. Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental License?
6. Are there limits on the number of Short-Term Rentals?
7. Do I have to display my license?
8. Does my short-term rental license apply to multiple properties?
9. What is the cost of an STR license?
10. What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?
11. Do I need a Short-Term Rental license if I hire a property management company?
12. Do I also need to obtain a separate business license?
13. Are home inspections required?
14. What can I do if I have a complaint?
15. How to I fill out a lodging tax form if I list on Airbnb?