What is a Short-Term Rental or STR?

A short-term rental (STR) is a dwelling unit, or portion of a dwelling unit, that is used for lodging for a period of less than 30 consecutive days. A Short-Term Rental License is required prior to advertising and renting your property.

Regulating STRs had been a focus of City Council since 2018, and several study sessions had been held for Council to explore various regulation options. Before the ordinance was approved, STRs existed in Wheat Ridge but were completely unregulated and not even mentioned in the City Code. Without any regulations, STRs were challenging for the City to enforce or to shut down offenders. City Council was clear about creating an ordinance that allows STRs, but limits how many there can be in the community. The ordinance created appropriate licensing requirements and put significant responsibility on STR hosts to be good neighbors. As of August 1, 2021, licensed STRs also provide revenue to the City in the form of Lodgers’ Tax.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Short-Term Rental or STR?
2. What is included in the ordinance?
3. Who can operate a short-term rental?
4. Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental License?
5. Can one offer short-term rentals to multiple parties at the same time on the same property?
6. Does my short-term rental license apply to multiple properties?
7. Are there limits on the number of Short-Term Rentals?
8. Do I have to display my license?
9. What is the cost of an STR license?
10. What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?
11. Do I also need to obtain a separate business license?
12. Do I need a Short-Term Rental license if I hire a property management company?
13. Are home inspections required?
14. Do short-term rental licensees have to pay taxes?
15. How to I fill out a lodging tax form if I list on Airbnb?
16. What can I do if I have a complaint?