Who starts the investigation?

When a citizen calls to report a crime, an officer is usually sent to initiate the report. The responding officer conducts the initial investigation and is responsible for the collection of evidence. If the crime is serious or complex, the officer may request assistance from Investigations or the Crime Lab. Some reports may be taken by phone by the Telephone Reporting Unit at 303-980-7300. This is offered as a convenient service to citizens. For certain crimes, the citizen may be referred directly to Investigations to speak to a detective.

Show All Answers

1. I need information about an ongoing investigation. Who do I call?
2. Who starts the investigation?
3. How are crimes classified?
4. Who continues the investigation?
5. Are all cases actively investigated?
6. I reported a felony crime. Will a detective call me tomorrow?
7. What happens when an investigation is complete?
8. Will I have to go to court?
9. How do I file a restraining order?