The City of Wheat Ridge is excited to announce a new inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility focused advisory committee, the IDEA Committee. Individuals who are passionate about fostering a more inclusive and equitable community and are committed to driving positive change are encouraged to apply.
The IDEA Committee is an outcome of the 2021-2023 Race and Equity Task Force, which recommended that city council create an ongoing advisory committee. The makeup of the IDEA Committee will include 10 members of the public as well as a city council liaison. Four of the 10 members will represent each council district, while the remaining six members will be at-large.
“The City of Wheat Ridge is dedicated to making our community an inclusive and responsive community. This IDEA Committee is a great way for individuals to actively contribute to projects and programs that make a tangible difference,” said Assistant City Manager Marianne Schilling.
Responsibilities of the IDEA Committee include:
- Advise city council on policies and practices to make Wheat Ridge a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive community.
- Advise city council on the implementation of the 2023 Race and Equity Task Force Recommendation Report.
- Act as a liaison between the community and city council, to bring forward issues and solutions related to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the City of Wheat Ridge.
- Organize events and activities that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion programs to the community.
- Foster mutual respect and understanding of all persons.
Applications are open to Wheat Ridge residents. More information can be found on the city's website. The IDEA Committee can expect to be appointed by city council in early 2024.