The City of Wheat Ridge is once again offering a free service to assist Wheat Ridge residents in getting rid of items that do not fit in typical garbage cans and/or can only be disposed of at an additional cost through your garbage service provider.
The program improves aesthetics in neighborhoods by allowing property owners to get rid of a large item on their property. Businesses and apartment complexes, who have other means of disposing of these items, are not eligible for the Large Item Pick-up Program.
The 2023 Large Item Pick-up Program for Wheat Ridge residents is scheduled for Saturday, May 13 and Saturday, May 20, 2023.
Online/Telephone Registration and Program Information
- Online registration Begins: March 31, 2023 at 7 a.m. Please note that the online registration form will not be available until 7 a.m. on March 31. Online Registration Form.
- Telephone registration begins: Monday, April 3, 2023 between the hours of 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday only. The number for telephone registration is (303)-205-7611.
- Registration Ends: Friday April 28, 2023 or when capacity has been reached, whichever comes first.
- Verification of Wheat Ridge residency and pre-approval of the type of item to be picked up will be required at the time of registration.
- REMEMBER, ONLY THE FIRST 270 REGISTRANTS WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PROGRAM!
Questions? Email: [email protected] (emails do NOT serve as registration for the program).
- Only ONE, pre-approved large item will be picked up, unless pre-arranged thru Republic Services as listed above.
- Pickup will not be approved for unit-type residences, such as apartments, townhomes, or condominiums. This service is also not eligible for businesses.
- Pickup hours are 7 a.m. to approximately 5 p.m. There is no schedule of when pickups will be made on any particular street; therefore, each large item must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the pickup date registered.
- Do not place the large pick up item with refuse to be collected by a regular collection service.
- Pickups will be made from private streets only if they are wider than 20 feet and loop to a public street, connect to a public street at both ends, or end with a standard size cul-de-sac.
- Trash containers will not be emptied; trash bags and additional large items will not be picked up.
- A large item will not be picked up if two workers cannot safely lift it into the collection truck. A wood stove, for example, will not be picked up due to its weight.
- If weather conditions dictate, the pickup dates will be delayed by one week. We will post updates to this page if Large Item Pick-Up dates are rescheduled due to weather.
Examples of Large Items ALLOWED for Pick Up:
- ONE piece of furniture, bed including mattress, box spring and frame, stove, oven, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, sink, toilet, bathtub, door, window, water heater, gas grill (no propane bottle), swing set (disassembled) or bicycle.
Examples of Large Items NOT Allowed for Pick Up:
- refrigerator, freezer, or any item with Freon
- microwave oven
- wood stove
- television, computer monitor, or computer
- garbage bags full of trash or loose debris that will fit into a garbage bag or trashcan
- trees, branches, or shrubs or mixed branches and trash.
- household chemicals and paint, fuel tanks or cans, batteries, propane bottles, or closed drums
- gravel, asphalt, pipe (any type or size), rock, sod, earth, concrete, brick, block, pavers, or roofing materials
- engine blocks, car parts, or any small gas engine equipment
- materials or debris from a private contractor’s work
More information can be found on the Large Item Pick-up page.