Become a Wheat Ridge Police Officer
Our officers and staff are dedicated to protect and serve the people of our City. We follow a relationship-based policing philosophy working in partnership to keep our community safe.
The Wheat Ridge Police Department currently has openings for new recruits in the Patrol Operations Division.
We are looking for candidates who not only do the right thing but have the courage to stand up for what is right, even when it is not popular
Successful applicants to the Wheat Ridge Police Department Patrol Operations Division must:
- Enjoy people and building relationships
- Have a passion for public service and a need to serve others
- Want to improve our community and the lives of those who live here
- Be willing to solve problems and effectively address concerns in our community
- Be proud of the person reflected in the mirror
We hope you will consider becoming a member of our family.
Chief Chris Murtha, Wheat Ridge Police Department
These members of the Wheat Ridge Police Department serve on the Recruitment Team. If you have questions about our hiring process or about the culture of the department, please contact one of these officers.
The Jefferson County Regional Police Academy is recruiting now for the fall Class of 2018. Candidates who accept a full time employment offer by the department, attend the academy which is paid by the Wheat Ridge Police Department. Following graduation, recruits join the department and undergo 12 weeks of field training.
To apply go to ci.wheatridge.co.us
The Wheat Ridge Police Department is proud of the number of officers currently serving our community who also have a history of serving our country in one of the armed forces.
While the City requires that all Police Officer and Police Recruit applicants (without Military service) have at least 60 semester hours, or 90 quarter hours from an accredited college or university in a non-vocational school.60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours from a non-vocational accredited college or university. This requirement can be waived in lieu of four years of Active Duty Military Service with an Honorable Discharge.
A DD214 must be submitted to support military years of service and type of discharge.
Salary Range, (as of Jan. 2021) - $59,000 - $89,500
Officers will reach the top salary level of $89,500 six years after academy graduation.
Police Recruit: Hiring Rate - $59,000 annually. Non-certified applicants are hired as Police Recruits until successful completion of the academy and the Colorado P.O.S.T. examination, at which time they move to a P.O.S.T Certified Officer level.
P.O.S.T Certified Level Police Officer: 0 – 3 years of experience = $62,000 annually
Lateral Police Officer: 3+ years of experience = $66,300-$84,945 annually Salary for those candidates with prior law enforcement experience is based on years of experience, knowledge, skills and certifications.
Paid Time Off - Personal Time-Off is accrued at a rate of 12.5 PTO hours per month, which equates to approximately 162 hours per year for vacations, medical/dental appointments, personal business, child care issues, bereavement, family emergencies, off-the-job injury, incidental illness, incidental care for family members, and all other absences not covered under another plan.
- Extended Sick Leave
- Ten Official Holidays
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Retirement Plans
- ICMA-Retirement Corp. – Police Recruits contribute 4%/City contributes 4%; five year, vesting period
- ICMA Retirement Corp. – Immediately, sworn team members and the City contribute 11%; Seven year vesting period.
- Additional voluntary benefits are also available.
Minimum Requirements for Recruits
Wheat Ridge Police Department applicants must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have no felony convictions
- Possess United States citizenship
- Have attained at least 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours from an accredited college or university or have four years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge
Police Officer applicants with less than three years of experience and POST certification from another agency or community college must also meet the minimum requirements listed above.
Lateral EntryFor lateral entry into the Wheat Ridge Police Department, applicants must:
- Be Colorado POST certified
- Have at least three years of full-time law enforcement experience
- Meet the minimum requirements
- Successfully pass an application, resume, and cover letter evaluation
- Years of experience