Don't have your phone number, Social Security Number, or driver license number printed on the checks.
- Use the post office during normal business hours
- Try not to use your residential mail box for mailing bills
- Never place mail in an outside blue post office mail box if your mail will sit overnight
- Have your mail held at the post office
- Have someone you trust pick up your mail
- Check with your bank on a regular basis
- Avoid phone calls in public areas
- Never respond to any unsolicited emails, even if they say they are from your bank and they provide you with the secure website link
- Never respond to emails claiming you have won a lottery
- When buying on Craig's List or EBay, use your credit card or PayPal. This way you can dispute the charges if you don't receive the item.
- When selling on Craig's List or EBay, do not accept or cash checks that are for more than the item sold for. If you are asked to cash the check and then send the item and the difference back to the buyer, don't do it.