How to Schedule a Building Inspection
Contractors are required to schedule inspection using their contractor portal login. This is the best way for a contractor to schedule and see the status of permits and inspections: https://egov.ci.wheatridge.co.us/permi
For Homeowner Permits:
Inspections for homeowner permits (whereby a homeowner is doing work themselves) can be submitted using this form: /formcenter/cd-community-development-11/building-inspection-request-form-55
For Zoning & Engineering Inspections:
Inspections for zoning and engineering are not offered as next day inspections. Please call to schedule:
- For zoning inspections, please call 303-235-2876
- For engineering inspections, please call 303-235-2861
For Right-of-Way Permits:
Inspections associated with right-of-way (ROW) permits are coordinated by the Public Works Department. Please call to schedule: 303-205-7615.
Time Change for Inspection Requests
Currently, the City of Wheat Ridge provides next day inspections for all permit types. Inspection requests are submitted online and are currently required to be submitted before midnight for inspections to occur the following business day.
Starting on October 2, 2023, requests must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. for next day inspections.
For example, inspections requested for Tuesday, October 3 must by submitted by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, October 2. Inspections for Mondays must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. on Fridays. Inspections requested after 4:00 p.m. will not be on the next day’s inspection list. Same day inspections (see below) are subject to a fee of $120 and are not guaranteed based on inspector availability.
We encourage all permit holders to begin adopting this shift to prepare for the October 2 change. This change will ensure appropriate staffing to accommodate all next day inspection requests. We appreciate your assistance in making this change as seamless as possible.
Inspection Time Window
We are not able to take requests for specific inspection times, but you can look up the estimated time online. (Time windows are not given over the phone or by email.) To see the estimated inspection time, use the City's permit lookup tool. This information is only available AFTER 8:00 a.m. on the day of the inspection; you will need to know your permit number.
When viewing your inspection time window, the time given is a 2 hour window 1 hour before and 1 hour after the time shown is the window. For example, if the inspection time shown is 11:00 a.m. then your 2-hour time window is 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The estimated time is based on where your inspection falls in the inspector's route and is not a guarantee.
Same Day Inspection Requests
Same day inspection requests must be received by 11:00 a.m. and are based on inspector availability. A fee of $120 will be assessed.
Inspection results can be viewed in the City's permit lookup tool. You will need to know your permit number.
Canceling a Building Inspection
Inspection cancellations may be submitted through our online Inspection Cancellation Form. Cancellation requests must be received by 8:00 am on the day of the scheduled inspection. Any request received after this time will be subject to a $60 re-inspection fee. Inspections are not automatically rescheduled.
- Inspections are required in some form for all building permits. The inspection record posted on the job will have a list of required inspections. This is a general record so only inspections that would apply to your specific project would be required.
- Inspections requested prior to 11:59 pm on that business day will be performed the following business day. Be sure to anticipate the need for inspections to prevent delays. (AS NOTED ABOVE THIS CUTOFF TIME WILL BE CHANGING to 4:00 PM, PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY).
- Inspectors do not carry ladders. Inspections needing a ladder to be conducted, must have a ladder set up and secured prior to arrival of the inspector.
- If a requested inspection cannot be performed due to inclement weather, the contractor and/or property owner are responsible for canceling the requested inspection no later than 8 a.m. on the day of inspection. If an inspector arrives to perform a requested inspection that cannot be conducted and has not been canceled, a re-inspection fee of $60 will be assessed and will be required to be paid prior to the next inspection.
- Inspections will not be performed on subcontracted work done by an unlicensed subcontractor. Discovery of unlicensed contractors may result in work stoppages and a municipal summons.
- Final inspections are the last step in the inspection process, and approval of the final inspections is your confirmation that the work has been satisfactorily completed according to the building code.
- Prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy or Completion, all requirements of the Planning, Engineering, Fire and Health Departments are required to be met.