- Your City
- Administrative Services
- Tax & Licensing
- Tobacco Retail Sales Licensing
Tobacco Retail Sales Licensing
Tobacco Retailers in Wheat Ridge
To apply or renew a Tobacco Retailer License, please complete the following application in the link below. Application for New or Renewed Tobacco Retail Sales License
All Tobacco Retail License fee payments can be made by check when mailed. Checks should be made out to: City of Wheat Ridge Tax Division, 7500 W. 29th Avenue, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
To make a payment with a Visa or a Mastercard, please call 303-235-2869 after submitting your application.
Under the new regulations, tobacco retailers are required to obtain a Tobacco Retailer License. The fee schedule is:
- $300 for new licenses
- $250 for annual license renewals
Renewals or new licenses approved after December 31, 2022 will continue on a one year cycle (January 1 - December 31).
This license is in addition to a City of Wheat Ridge Business License ($20 Fee). Tobacco retailers must be in full compliance by July 1, 2021.
This license is in addition to the State of Colorado Tobacco Retail License program. Please check the Colorado Department of Revenue webpage for more information.
Read more about Wheat Ridge and smoking restrictions per Ordinance 1584
Ordinance 1584 Smoking in Public Places
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Tobacco Retail License?
On April 12, 2021, Wheat Ridge City Council approved Ordinance No. 1710, which includes licensing and operational regulations requiring retailers selling tobacco or nicotine products in Wheat Ridge to apply and pay for an annual license. Tobacco retailers must be in full compliance by July 1, 2021. The purpose of the Tobacco Retail License is to regulate the purchase and sale of tobacco products. Tobacco products are defined as any product which contains, is made or derived from tobacco or used to deliver nicotine, synthetic nicotine or other substances intended for human consumption, whether heated, chewed, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed or ingested by any other means, including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff, nicotine product, mints, hand gels. This includes electronic smoking devices but does not include any product that contains marijuana.
Are any businesses where tobacco is sold exempt from these licensing regulations?
No. All tobacco retailers must obtain a Tobacco Retail License.
The ordinance includes a 1000' buffer for schools and youth-oriented facilities. What does that mean for my business?
All tobacco retailers that apply after July 1, 2021, will be subject to a 1000' distance requirement from a school or youth-oriented facility (park, playground, or City-owned recreation facility). However, tobacco retailers that are currently located within 1000 feet of a school or youth-oriented facility and apply for their license by July 1, 2021, will be grandfathered in and eligible to be licensed. Please see the Tobacco Retailer Map on the City webpage to determine if your business is within 1000 feet of a school or youth-oriented facility.
What are the reasons my application could be denied?
A Tobacco Retail License application can be denied for the following reasons:
- The tobacco retailer does not have a City Business License in good standing.
- The tobacco retailer applies for a license after July 1, 2021, and is located within 1000 feet of a school or youth-oriented facility.
- The tobacco retail business has been dormant for more than one year and is within 1000 feet of a school or youth-oriented facility.
- If the Tobacco Retailer’s licensed has been revoked within the last two years. The Retailer can re-apply two years after the revocation of a license.
What requirements are included in the new regulations that are effective July 1, 2021?
While the list below includes the most common requirements, for a complete list, please see Sections 11-233 through 11-239 of the new regulations
- Signage regarding the minimum legal sales age of 21 must be posted in accordance with Section 11-233(f) (page 5 of the ordinance).
- Additional signage, such as a current City-issued Tobacco Retail License Certificate, must be prominently displayed on the premises.
- No person who is younger than 18 years of age shall sell, stock, retrieve, or other otherwise handle tobacco products.
- Self-service displays are prohibited (except for retail tobacco specialty businesses)
- All tobacco product retailing must take place at a fixed location. Mobile vending, to include the delivery of tobacco products, is prohibited.
- Tobacco product retailing is prohibited within 1000 feet of schools and youth-oriented facilities. Current tobacco retailers that are in good standing and apply for their license by July 1, 2021, will be grandfathered in and are eligible to be licensed. All tobacco retailers that apply after July 1, 2021, will be subject to the 1000-foot distance requirement.
What does Compliance, Penalties and Enforcement look like?
You can find details regarding the compliance, penalty structure and enforcement process in Sections 11-241 to 243 of the ordinance. The Wheat Ridge Police Department will conduct two compliance checks per year. Violations result in penalties as follows:
Penalty (within a three-year period)
License suspended for seven (7) days
License suspended for thirty (30) days
License suspended for one (1) year
License revoked; ineligible to apply for two (2) years
Who do I contact with questions?
Please contact the City Licensing Technician at [email protected] with any questions or to provide feedback on these new regulations.