Short Term Rentals

23Short Term Rentals

The City’s Short-Term Rental (STR) ordinance took effect May 1, 2021. In addition, as of August 1, 2021, STR hosts were required to begin collecting a 10% City lodgers’ tax on all STR completed reservations. Lodgers’ tax returns and payments are due the 20th of each month. New hosts can request an STR account number and code by emailing [email protected]

Maximum Number of Short-Term Rentals per City Council District

As of November 1, 2021, a limit on the total number of non-owner-occupied short-term rentals (whole home STR licenses) that are licensed in each City Council district was set. The limit, established on an annual basis, is calculated as 2% of the total number of units within single- and two-family dwellings in each district. 

This restriction shall not apply to owner-occupied short-term rentals (partial home STR licenses) and shall not apply to short-term rentals in non-residential and non-agricultural zone districts, including Mixed Use districts and Commercial zone districts.

The maximum numbers for WHOLE HOME LICENSES each district as set in November 2021

City Council DistrictMaximum Whole-home licenses AllowedRemaining Whole-home licenses on 03-03-2023*
District I49       0      
District II520
District III5429
District IV370

When the maximum number for any district is reached, any subsequent application shall be placed on a waiting list until such a time that the total number of short-term rentals in that district falls under the maximum number allowed. 

*This table is updated monthly. Both requests for an unique STR code and submitted applications are processed in the order they are received. Only accurate and completed applications are in queue to receive limited whole home licenses- which means that submitted applications could be under review and the Cap limit could be reached before this table is updated. Thank you for your patience.


Please only submit one form for the district in which your property is located. You will be contacted when a whole home license becomes available. If you are unsure of your district Please view the District map here.


District 1 "Whole Home" STR waitlist


District 2 "Whole Home" STR waitlist


District IV "Whole Home" waitlist

Short-Term Rental Registration

Step 1: Acquire a registration account number and code

Only the legal owner of the property may apply for a short-term rental license.  Contact [email protected] to request the unique STR account number and code. Please provide the property address upon request. 

Step 2: Visit the online registration site

Once the account number and code are received, complete STR registration online at the registration site. This is a third-party platform maintained by MUNIRevs. The unique account number and code are required to register (see Step 1).Step 3: Notification of approval and issuance of license

STR business licenses are reviewed by the City’s Zoning Division and issued by the Finance Division of the City’s Administrative Services Department. City staff will reach out to if there are issues with the application, such as missing information or if the proposed STR is not compliant with the requirements in the ordinance. All complete STR applications will be processed in the order in which they are received. If STR registration is approved, hosts will be notified via email and the STR business license will be attached for printing. The license must be posted within the STR, and the license number must be used in any online advertisement. The registration site is available online 24/7, and staff support is available during regular business hours on weekdays.

Step 4: Collect 10% lodgers’ tax beginning August 1, 2021

Beginning August 1, 2021, STR hosts are required to collect a 10% City lodgers’ tax on all STR completed reservations. Lodgers’ tax returns and payments are due the 20th of each month. For example, the August 2021 lodgers’ tax return and payment are due by September 20, 2021. Lodgers’ tax returns and payments can be filed and remitted electronically using the online MUNIRevs account. Payments can be made using Visa, Mastercard, or e-Check.  

For questions