Solid Waste & Recycling
Preventing waste from entering our landfills through recycling and, more importantly, through waste reduction, must be the primary objective when looking at improving Wheat Ridge’s current waste disposal practices. Waste reduction and recycling goals are often attainable at a relatively low-cost and offer opportunities for quick returns and possibly even revenue generation.
The Sustainable Wheat Ridge (SWR) Committee developed the solid waste and recycling plan which outlines recommendations for the City to take action on improving current waste management in Wheat Ridge. The City has an opportunity to update current conditions and leverage this to reduce wastefulness.
The following are the action plan goals set-up by the SWR for solid waste and recycling focus area:
- Improve waste management behavior by residents, businesses, and institutions.
- Reduce negative impacts of waste hauling on city infrastructure and local environment.
For more information on the solid waste and recycling focus area please see the SWR Action Plan. Solid waste and recycling content starts on page 41.
Current Projects & Programs
Some of SWR’s current solid waste and recycling projects include:
Conduct a Home Waste Audit:
Step 1: Take stock of what you’re throwing out through a DIY home waste audit. View and download directions here. Use the PDF to track your waste throughout the week.
Or watch a video to get a quick overview of how to conduct an audit.
Step 2: Share your findings from your audit here, and make a pledge for how you plan to reduce your waste this month.
Residential Compost Drop off Program:
The City has partnered with Denver metro composting program, Scraps, to start a compost drop off program for Wheat Ridge residents. All members will be able to drop off an unlimited amount of compost in the bin at any time of day and members can receive up to five gallons of compost from Scraps.
The drop off bins are located at the Wheat Ridge Recreation Center and the Wheat Ridge City Hall. The first 100 Wheat Ridge members will receive first two months free with the purchase of a starter kit, thanks to Sustainable Wheat Ridge! Sign up here today!
Ways You Can Help Wheat Ridge Meet the Solid Waste and Recycling Goals
Did you know that there are 5 Rs to managing waste:
- REFUSE - Don’t buy or accept products that are harmful to the environment, or that you don’t need.
- REDUCE - Use less.
- REUSE - Use something you already have instead of buying new. Examples include refillable water bottles, reusable coffee mugs, and reusable grocery bags.
- REPURPOSE - Use something for other than its original purpose. Get crafty! Examples include using GOOS (Good On One Side) paper from home or office that only has print on one side for scrap paper, or think of all the incredible ways you’ve seen people utilize pallets.
- RECYCLE - Then, after you’ve done ALL the other Rs, consider how to recycle nearly everything you use: paper, plastic, metal, glass, electronics, clothing, and even food waste can be recycled through composting to some degree.