Doing Business at City Hall
In order to ensure a safe and secure environment for our customers, staff, and community, visitors to City Hall must make an appointment in advance with the appropriate Finance Division staff member. Please call 303-235-2820 or email [email protected].
All individuals or entities engaged in business in the City or collecting City sales tax must obtain a City business license, or a temporary tax license. Other licenses may also be required, depending on the type of business activity. Section 11-22, Wheat Ridge Code of Laws.
Operating without a valid business license is subject to daily fines of up to $1,000 per day as set forth in sections 1-5 and 1-6 of the City Code of Laws. Fines are imposed after due process of notification has been exhausted and a summons to court has been issued. The amount of the final levied amount is determined by the judge. A license is not valid if it is not renewed.
- Business License Renewals
- Business License and Tax Application - $20 per year: required for all permanent businesses and anyone collecting sales tax, must renew each year
- Remote Seller Form - for businesses with only Economic Nexus
- Exempt Organization License Application - Free, must renew every three years
- Temporary Tax License Application - Price varies, see application packet: for solicitors, peddlers, and events. Selling in the parks is prohibited by City code section 17-35.
- Zoning Information
Additional Licenses or Permissions
|Alcohol Beverages||Public hearing process; Business license required||City Clerk||303-235-2816|
|Contractors||Those located in the City need a business license also||Building Division||303-235-2855|
|Kennel||All commercial and personal kennels for more than three dogs or four cats||Police||303-235-2926|
Please be aware that the City strictly enforces its sign code. To avoid any issues, call Zoning at 303-235-2846 for details BEFORE contracting for or placing any signage.