Marijuana Business Licenses Are Capped
- Maximum number of places that sell marijuana or marijuana products: 5
- Maximum number of manufacturers of marijuana infused products (MIPs): 3
- Cultivations: NO free-standing cultivations. Any cultivation for commercial marijuana in the City must be contiguous to a retail marijuana store/medical marijuana center or marijuana infused products facility under the same ownership. Contiguous means the spaces are either unitary or share a vertical wall with access between operations via the wall (i.e., a door or doorway that allows going from the cultivation to the dispensary or infused products facility without having to go outside or into an area with public access).
Marijuana Testing Licensing
Code section 11-403 permits retail marijuana testing facilities in Wheat Ridge. A retail marijuana testing facility may be co-located with a medical marijuana testing facility. Locations are restricted to C-1 and I-E zoned districts. Please contact the Zoning Division for specific information. Get in touch with the Tax Division with questions about applying or to obtain an application.
With the exception of marijuana testing, there are currently no marijuana license vacancies in Wheat Ridge.
Legal Non-conformity Some of the existing locations within the City are considered legal non-conforming uses by the Code. The locations fall within the buffer zones established by the Code but until license-relinquishment or revocation occurs each of these locations is lawful and permitted.
Limitations on Primary Caregiver Activities
- The Code limits the amount of space and the location within a residence used for primary caregiver growing and processing activities.
- The Code also prohibits the use of compressed combustible gases for processing marijuana in a residential building and prohibits the use of accessory structures for primary caregiver activities.
- Growing medical marijuana outdoors is prohibited by section 11-330.
Read the Law
- Ordinances regarding marijuana establishments are contained in Chapter 11 of the Wheat Ridge Code of Laws.
- Ordinances regarding zoning and marijuana are contained in Chapter 26 of the Wheat Ridge Code of Laws.
- Ordinances regarding building requirements and marijuana are contained in Chapter 5 of the Wheat Ridge Code of Laws.
- Colorado state laws and regulations about marijuana may be accessed via the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division.
Contact the Tax Division with questions about Wheat Ridge marijuana licensing.