The Election Commission meets on an as-needed basis.
The Election Commission:
- Consists of the City Clerk and two residents appointed at large
- Commission Members will be appointed at the December Council Meeting of odd numbered years for two year terms. Click Here for Application
- Is in charge of activities and duties related to the conduct of elections
- Provides procedures to establish proof of residency qualifications when residency is in question
- Provides for ballots, sample ballots, and any voting methods as approved by State statute
Sec. 2.4. Election commission.
- (a) An election commission is hereby created, consisting of the city clerk and two (2) registered electors of the city. These two (2) registered electors during their term of office shall not be elected city officers or employees or candidates or nominees for elective city office. These two (2) members shall be appointed by the city council in the first December meeting following a regular city election, for a term of two (2) years.
- (b) The city clerk shall be chairperson. The election commission shall have charge of all activities and duties required of it by statute, ordinance and this Charter relating to the conduct of elections in the city. In any case where election procedure is in doubt, the election commission shall prescribe the procedure to be followed.
- (c) The commission shall provide procedures to establish proof of residency qualification where residency is in question. Upon a showing for good cause, the election commission may require proof of residency by any person registered to vote or attempting to register to vote in the City of Wheat Ridge. Said person shall not be qualified to vote in any municipal election until the election commission is satisfied that he has presented sufficient proof of residency as required by statute or ordinance adopted pursuant to this Charter.
- (d) The election commission shall provide for: ballots, sample ballots and any voting methods as approved by state statutes; the determination of the winner by lot in the event of a tie vote; the canvass of returns; and the issuance of appropriate certificates.
- (e) A member of the election commission shall not act as a judge of an election.