The Cultural Commission was created to promote cultural arts in Wheat Ridge and foster cultural enrichment and education opportunities for the community.
The Wheat Ridge Cultural Commission also:
- Makes recommendations to the Mayor, City Manager and City Council on matters relating to cultural arts;
- Develops cultural arts programs and promotes artistic endeavors;
- Fosters positive relationships with community members and entities interested in supporting cultural arts;
- Provides a communication forum and is a resource for artists;
- Seeks community input on the implementation and management of public art and;
- Assists the City with grant proposal and fundraising activities as directed by the City Manager.
Wheat Ridge Reads
The results of the community survey are in and the book selection for 2020 is Madame Velvet’s Caberet of Oddities by Nancy Stohlman. She will join the community for a reading and discussion on her book in 2020. On January 15 she will be be at Swiss Flower and Gift Cottage and on January 16 at Ye Olde Firehouse. She will also meet with Wheat Ridge High School students that same week. More information about getting a free copy of the book to come.
Wheat Ridge Reads 2020
Wheat Ridge Reads 2019
Wheat Ridge Selects Poet in Residence
In December of 2018, Sharon Heinlen was named the first Wheat Ridge Poet in Residence as part of the celebrations planned for the City’s 50th Anniversary in 2019. Heinlen will create original works of poetry to read at several Wheat Ridge events in 2019. She will also conduct poetry education programs at Wheat Ridge schools in 2020.
Heinlen was selected by the Wheat Ridge Cultural Commission for her poem “Neighborly Inspiration” as well as several other original poems and for her commitment to the community. An 18-year resident of Wheat Ridge, she is a retired Regis University and University of Denver professor, and has written and performed poetry and music at multiple venues throughout her life.
Other Special Projects
Greetings from Wheat Ridge Campaign
See the "Greetings From Wheat Ridge" slideshow here.
50th Anniversary Signature Quilt
The “Many Colors of Wheat Ridge” signature quilt was created by Cultural Commissioner Milly Nadler in celebration of the City’s 50th Anniversary. Signatures include those of community members and City leaders.
To promote culture and the arts, to oversee public art, and to provide art enrichment opportunities to benefit the residents of the City.
Wheat Ridge Cultural Vision 2018
Approved Resolution 2018
Find us on Facebook at Wheat Ridge Cultural Events
Subscribe to Notify Me-Updates on changes to this page as well as special events notices
Second Wednesday of every month at 6 p.m.
Wheat Ridge Recreation Center
4005 Kipling St.
Meetings are open to the public
- Diane Robb - Chair, District I Representative
- Jessica Schwartz Opens a New Window. - District I Representative
- Milly Nadler - District II Representative
- Jill Shannon Opens a New Window. - District II Representative
- David Opp Opens a New Window. - District III Representative
- Jerith Gronski Opens a New Window. - District III Representative
- Vacant Opens a New Window. V. Ruth Baranowski - District IV Representative
- Carol Mathews Opens a New Window. - District IV Representative
- Gay Porter DeNileon - At Large Representative